Subject: Re: External battery pack options for FMR
From: Mike Holden (
Date: 2003-08-12

Todd Lowe said:
> Hi, I spent most of yesterday reading the digest, but didn't find much
> mention of successful uses of external battery backs for longer
> unplugged operation of the FM Recorder. My battery has never lasted
> much longer than about 2-2.5 hours, so I'm frustrated on long trips
> bus/airline trips. All my MP3's are variable bitrate, averaging
> ~180Kbps, but I didn't think that should zap my batteries so quickly.
> I have ordered the MAHA 1800mAh Powerpack 6V external battery pack since
> I also own an Olympus C-3000Z camera, which IS known to be compatible,
> but I was guessing it should also work for the FM Recorder.
> Does anyone have a strong feeling that this should work safely (or NOT)
> with the FMR? It's only $50
> ( so
> I figure it might be the next best thing to getting a new FMR battery
> (I've already modded with a Toshiba 60GB drive (MK6021 GAS) which works
> great!) so I'm not eager to try to get the original FMR LiIon battery
> replaced under warrantee (it does work, just poorly).
> And if anyone out there has found a third-party source of the 2200 mAh
> battery, let me know! (I have inquired by email from Yosh batteries
> about buying 1 or a whole lot of them to pass them onto interested
> buyers on this list at cost).
> Thanks to the Rockbox developers -- you've taken a very mediocre product
> and made it exceptional through your hard work.
> cheers,
> Todd

No idea about the battery pack, but if it provides similar power input to
the wall-wart, it should be ok. I doubt it would do any harm, so long as
the volts and amps delivered are similar yo the power unit supplied by

I will say that 2-2.5 hours sounds very poor performance however. I
certainly get a lot longer out of mine. How do you charge the unit? Do you
remove the power as soon as the charge shows 100% in Rockbox? If so, leave
it overnight, as Rockbox currently shows 100% long before the charger
stops charging because the battery is full.

Mike Holden

Rockbox page: