Subject: Re: New Member
From: Mike Holden (rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net)
Date: 2003-08-16

Glenn Ervin at home said:
> Hello List Members,
> I am new to the list, and if you didn't notice, my name is Glenn.
> I am planning on getting an Archos Jukebox 20, and I am looking for some
> information.
> I would like to know if there are any users of the product on the list
> who are Blind, as I am, because I am interested in downloading and
> installing a RockBox firmware version that will allow me to get audible
> feedback from the display information.

There is a patch available for "Talkbox" which was posted some time ago,
but I don't recall hearing anything about it for a while. Have a look in
the Patches section on the Rockbox website.

> I hope to eventually contribute to the development of the firmware as
> soon as I have a unit.

Look forward to your contribution!

> The reason I don't have an Archos Jukebox 20 yet is that I am wondering
> if there is any functionality lost if a unit is purchased with the FM
> radio installed.

They both have the same functionality, as far as Rockbox is concerned,
apart of course from the built in radio! Some people prefer the ability to
swap batteries and charge them externally (recorder). Some prefer the
lighter weight and smaller size of the FM model. That is a decision for
you to make! The multimedia model is not supported.

> I plan to use my unit for recording from either the internal microphone
> or with an external microphone as much as I plan on listening to music.
> Also, is there a model with a drive larger than 20GB?

20Gb is the largest available "official" model. However many people have
upgraded their own unit, as pretty much any laptop harddrive will work,
which can go up to 60 or 80 Gb at the moment.

--
Mike Holden

Rockbox page: http://www.mikeholden.org/~rockbox