Subject: Re: New Member
From: Brian Wolven (
Date: 2003-08-16

Glenn Ervin at home wrote:
> Hello List Members,
> I am new to the list, and if you didn't notice, my name is Glenn.
> I am planning on getting an Archos Jukebox 20, and I am looking for
> some information.

This is a good place to get it. =)

> I would like to know if there are any users of the product on the
> list who are Blind, as I am, because I am interested in downloading
> and installing a RockBox firmware version that will allow me to get
> audible feedback from the display information.
> I hope to eventually contribute to the development of the firmware as
> soon as I have a unit.
> The reason I don't have an Archos Jukebox 20 yet is that I am
> wondering if there is any functionality lost if a unit is purchased
> with the FM radio installed.

The major difference is the battery; non-FM recorders have
user-replaceable NiMH cells, while the FM models have a lithium battery
that is not easily user-replaceable, if at all. Reading through some of
the archived threads in this group might give you a better feel for the
pros and cons. For newsgroup-style access (taken from the rockbox web
"This list is also archived as a newgroup on Connect your
news reader to and look for the group Note that you still need to
be "subscribed to the list to post to it through gmane!

> I plan to use my unit for recording from either the internal
> microphone or with an external microphone as much as I plan on
> listening to music.
> Also, is there a model with a drive larger than 20GB?

There is no unit available from Archos with a larger drive, but people
have modified their own units and installed larger hard drives. You can
also find units for sale with larger drives installed at I can't comment on their
prices/service/etc., but perhaps someone else on the list has dealt with