Subject: Re: New Member

Re: New Member

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:15:12 -0400

Glenn Ervin at home wrote:
> Hello List Members,
> I am new to the list, and if you didn't notice, my name is Glenn.
> I am planning on getting an Archos Jukebox 20, and I am looking for
> some information.

This is a good place to get it. =)

> I would like to know if there are any users of the product on the
> list who are Blind, as I am, because I am interested in downloading
> and installing a RockBox firmware version that will allow me to get
> audible feedback from the display information.
> I hope to eventually contribute to the development of the firmware as
> soon as I have a unit.
> The reason I don't have an Archos Jukebox 20 yet is that I am
> wondering if there is any functionality lost if a unit is purchased
> with the FM radio installed.

The major difference is the battery; non-FM recorders have
user-replaceable NiMH cells, while the FM models have a lithium battery
that is not easily user-replaceable, if at all. Reading through some of
the archived threads in this group might give you a better feel for the
pros and cons. For newsgroup-style access (taken from the rockbox web
pages):
"This list is also archived as a newgroup on gmane.org. Connect your
news reader to news.gmane.org and look for the group
gmane.comp.systems.archos.rockbox.general. Note that you still need to
be "subscribed to the list to post to it through gmane!

> I plan to use my unit for recording from either the internal
> microphone or with an external microphone as much as I plan on
> listening to music.
> Also, is there a model with a drive larger than 20GB?

There is no unit available from Archos with a larger drive, but people
have modified their own units and installed larger hard drives. You can
also find units for sale with larger drives installed at
http://www.newmp3technology.com/. I can't comment on their
prices/service/etc., but perhaps someone else on the list has dealt with
them.