Subject: Re: New Member

Re: New Member

From: David McIntyre <plugh_at_mudbarn.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 21:08:03 -0700

The hardware has some pretty poor quality control. Many who have opened their
unit have found broken/cold solder connections, bent battery contacts, shorted
connections, etc. Some retailers have stopped selling the product line because
of a high return rate.
That said, bad units usually show their colors early, giving a chance for a
relatively painless in-store return. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you
can usually fix your own unit fairly quickly and easily due to the many online
resources for disassembly instructions. The architecture is about as open
inside the unit as it is for the firmware that allows rockbox to exist. It's
quite the hacker-oriented piece of hardware.

--
David McIntyre         plugh_at_mudbarn.com        http://www.mudbarn.com
PGP Key fingerprint = CAB5 A73A 43FA 19E3 449D  20B8 25D7 FA84 8847 D6A7