Subject: New harddisk does not spinup
From: Oliver (
Date: 2003-08-20

Hi there,

I try to replace the harddrive of my Archos Recorder 20.
The new model is a Toshiba MK3021GAS (30GB). But if I boot,
the new drive does not even spin-up. It works ok when
connected to the IDE port of my PC. With the old harddrive
the Recorder still boots successfully.

My Recorder has its original firmware 1.26 in the flash.
After the 3rd block of the boot progress indicator appears,
the display shows:

HD register error
SC1 (85) 128
SN1 (170) 128
SC2 (170) 128
SN2 (85) 128

OS Version: 1.26

After a minute or so the display changes to:

###> # Vol#
Read access error!

Can't read from hard

Has anybody experienced the same?
Any suggestions what to try next?
Is it a hardware problem or a problem with the partition table?

If possible I want to omit to burn ROCKbox into the flash at the
moment. I'll definitely try it as soon as I would have the time
to repair it in case of a failure.

Thanx to everybody involved in improving ROCKbox!!!

+++ Oliver