Subject: Re: [Fwd: New harddisk does not spinup]

Re: [Fwd: New harddisk does not spinup]

From: Doug Layne <motiv02_at_layndo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:14:36 -0400

Is there a problem with the I/O address detection? I have a problem with
that when I flash my JBR20. Here are two messages that I posted when I was
having the problem. I'm still having to make the change that I explained in
the second message in order to use flash builds. I've been using the build
with this change ever since then and haven't had any problems.

This message is from July 13th:
I have updated my Recorder 20 to boot from flash. I am able to use F1 and
boot the Archos firmware, however, I am getting ATA errors when trying to
boot rockbox from the second image. Most of the time I get ATA error: -21
after about 1 or 2 seconds of the splash screen, but occasionally I get ATA
error: -41 after about 10 seconds of the splash screen. I took a quick look
at the code and it seems like io_address_detect() and sometimes
freeze_lock() are failing. In both cases, the debug screen has master,
0x300 for ATA. Any idea of what might cause this? I have a 40GB IBM
Travelstar drive in the unit, but I'm not sure of the exact model. I have a
bleeding edge build (030714-0101) in flash also. Thanks a lot.

And this was from July 14th
Ok, here's what I did to get something that works. I don't quite understand
the low level ATA stuff enough to know why it works, but maybe someone will
know what needs to be changed in this detection code. In
io_address_detect() in ata.c, I basically forced it to the 'else' statement,
causing the address to be set to 0x200 instead of 0x300. I also commented
out the 'to be sure' check so the function would succeed. With these
changes, everything boots, very quickly :), and seems to work fine. I've
played around with it a little and I haven't noticed any side effects yet,
but I'm sure there could be some. Let me know if there's anything I can do
to help figure this out. Thanks a lot!

I hope this helps...

Doug