Subject: Re: Battery life preservation during work breaks
From: Michael O'Quinn (
Date: 2003-08-22

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Brent Geery wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:20:17 -0700, Sharon <> wrote:
> > One more question about battery usage:
> >
> > I have 5-minute breaks and 10-minute breaks that alternate at work.
> > Is it better to turn the Jukebox off during those breaks, or leave it
> > on pause? Which takes less battery power?
> >
> > Thanks again for all the wonderful help....
> It's in the archives, and the FAQs-- turn it off, if more than about
> 10 seconds of non-use.

No way. It's more like 5 or 10 minutes. The 10 second might apply to
being plugged into the USB, which causes the HD to spin continuously.

I just turned on my non-flashed player several time, and each time the HD
spun for 9 seconds.

Compare that to 10 seconds of idle without the HD spinning, and you tell
me, which is going to use more power. With the light not on, the Archos
on pause draws minuscule power compared to the HD.

I remember that discussion too. Perhaps a more through search of the
archives are in order?