Subject: Re: Jukebox not playing very long - battery life question
From: Chris Holt (
Date: 2003-08-22

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:06:36 -0400, Neon John wrote:

> Good advice. To add to it, one of the best chargers out there right
> now is the Ray-O-Vac 1 hour charger available at WallyWorld, etc. It's
> $29.95 and, depending on the particular package, comes with either 4
> 1800 mah batteries or a car cigarette cord. This charger contains 4
> individual charging circuits so you can put 4 batteries in, regardless
> of the individual state-of-charge, and have them all charge properly.
> On 2300 mah batteries it takes about an hour and a half to charge.

So they have solved the overheating problem with those? Dave Etchells
warned against that model in his Great Battery Shootout page

"As alluded to earlier, one important, albeit somewhat informal finding at
this point: The Rayovac 1-hour charger does indeed seem to get the
batteries too hot. - I observed with several different sets of batteries
from various manufacturers that repeated charge cycles in the Rayovac
resulted in a noticeable and continuing decrease in maximum capacity. (Two
sets of cells even vented, a very unusual occurrence in my experience.)
It's darn fast, and charges the batteries pretty completely, but
definitely seems to have a negative impact on battery life."

Personally I use one of Rayovac's PS1 chargers. Four independant
circuits, slow overnight charge and 9.99 at Wal/K/mart/TArget, etc.

Not that I'm a cheapskate or anything. The 1850 Evereadys in my JBR right
now are getting replaced with some of the new 2100s, "just because". Got
lots of things I can use the 1850s in. :) But hey, they were less than
$10. Go figure. That's cheaper than the 1850s were. (~$12)