Subject: Re: Jukebox not playing very long - battery life question

Re: Jukebox not playing very long - battery life question

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:43:44 -0400

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:23:48 -0400, Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:06:36 -0400, Neon John wrote:
>
>> Good advice. To add to it, one of the best chargers out there right
>> now is the Ray-O-Vac 1 hour charger available at WallyWorld, etc. It's
>> $29.95 and, depending on the particular package, comes with either 4
>> 1800 mah batteries or a car cigarette cord. This charger contains 4
>> individual charging circuits so you can put 4 batteries in, regardless
>> of the individual state-of-charge, and have them all charge properly.
>> On 2300 mah batteries it takes about an hour and a half to charge.
>
>So they have solved the overheating problem with those? Dave Etchells
>warned against that model in his Great Battery Shootout page
>http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM
>Saying:

IMNSHO, much ado about nothing. There's a wedding photographer over on
rec.photography.digital who doesn't let a day go by without working a
Ray-o-Vac slam into the conversation. Even has a web site. I'm sure there
were individual chargers that had problems just like there are Jukeboxes with
problems. Heck, my first Nikon LiIon charger slagged a hole right through the
bottom of the case. The replacement was fine and has remained so. That's
life in the electronic fast lane :-)

I have 4 of them, the first several years old. Between my commercial
photography business and all the audio gadgets, I use them a LOT. Never a
problem. Yeah, the batteries get somewhat warm but so what? That's a lot of
energy being crammed into those batteries in a short period. I have some 1800
mah's that are going on 3 years old with no apparent loss of capacity.

Even if there was an impact on life, BFD! The high capacity NiMH's right now
cost just a little more than double a brand name alkaline battery. Mr Nicad
(E.H.Yost and co) had 2200 mah cells at the Huntsville hamfest last weekend
for $2.75 ea. At that price ratio, on the 3rd cycle I'm ahead financially.
If I get a year or two I'm happy as a clam in sauce. I have yet to have to
throw one away. when on the road, being able to charge several sets of
batteries in an evening in lieu of carrying dozens of cells is very nice.
Particularly with the 12 volt cig lighter cord.

John

---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net