Subject: Re: NEWKEYS v2

Re: NEWKEYS v2

From: Uwe Freese <mail_at_uwe-freese.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:00:58 +0200

Hello Daniel,

Daniel Stenberg wrote on Friday, August 22, 2003, 11:44:28 AM:

DS> Since there have been a lot of talk about a revised keymapping, I and Linus
DS> sat down and updated my NEWKEYS document.
DS> This is the approach we suggest (limited to (fm)recorder-models).
[...]
DS> Feel free to comment!

Independantly from the key mapping, I suggest that the menu entries
that are alternatives to the same function in the F1 menu, now use
only *one* String (the same as in the F1 menu) and not one for the F1
menu and one for the F2/F3 screen.

As I told several times in the past, it is not possible to find a word
for some functions in german that fit into both (and I think this is
the same problem for some other languages). If using an abbreviation, the word
fits into F2/3 menu, but looks differnt from the (not abbreviated)
words in the F1 menu.

To summarize:

- only one String for F1 menu and F2/F3 menus
- only one one-line string
- scrolling for long strings in F2/F3 menus

If you want to have Strings on more than one line (like now in F2/F3
screens), I suggest a new text-drawing-function that automatically
wraps at spaces.
So we can have only one String in the language files, not two that
represent the two lines from one description.

Bye, Uwe.