Subject: Re: NEWKEYS v2
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-08-23

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Neon John wrote:

> > o Do not exit main menu with F1, only OFF
>
> Not sure about this. I like being able to toggle the menu off and on with
> the F1 key.

Possibly. The idea of not supporting this would be to make it more
standardized everywhere that a quick press on OFF takes you out from where you
are. Also, we might see a future where you might go to the MAIN MENU using a
different key than F1 (from some weird screen) and then leaving the menu on F1
would make no sense at all!

I guess F1 can do the same as OFF does in the MAIN MENU for now, as we haven't
assigned anything else to F1 there.

> > o moved keylock combo
>
> I like it. I assume you mean providing a single key keylock?

No. In my eyes, a single key keylock defeats its purpose. It is a lot more
likely that I accidentally press that single key in my pocket or in my bag.

Keylock would be (in WPS) F3 and then PLAY, and unlocking would be the same.

> I've had another thought about keylock. Most of the time when I have the
> keyboard locked, the reason I unlock it is to change volume. How about
> providing a user-selectable option to have a long, say 3 or 4 second, volume
> key press override the lock. That would accomplish two things. One, it
> would let me change volume without having to do the unlock sequence. Two,
> it would prevent accidentally operating the other keys when groping for the
> volume while driving, in the dark, etc. I have a bad habit of hitting the
> track forward or back when looking for the volume controls.
>
> I would, of course, want to disable this feature for when I want to totally
> lock the keyboard so a user-selectable option would be a necessity.

I guess we could still do this, and I'll leave this out of the NEWKEYS
document as I'm sure we'll discuss this more.

Personally I more often unlocks the keys to press NEXT than to modify the
volume... ;-)