Subject: Re: NEWKEYS v2
From: Neon John (
Date: 2003-08-24

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:57:57 +0200 (CEST), Daniel Stenberg <>

>On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Neon John wrote:
>> > o Do not exit main menu with F1, only OFF
>> Not sure about this. I like being able to toggle the menu off and on with
>> the F1 key.
>Possibly. The idea of not supporting this would be to make it more
>standardized everywhere that a quick press on OFF takes you out from where you
>are. Also, we might see a future where you might go to the MAIN MENU using a
>different key than F1 (from some weird screen) and then leaving the menu on F1
>would make no sense at all!
>I guess F1 can do the same as OFF does in the MAIN MENU for now, as we haven't
>assigned anything else to F1 there.
>> > o moved keylock combo
>> I like it. I assume you mean providing a single key keylock?
>No. In my eyes, a single key keylock defeats its purpose. It is a lot more
>likely that I accidentally press that single key in my pocket or in my bag.

Then make the single key lock an user selectible option. I never had a
problem with the archos firmware method (long ON press) and I won't with
rockbox. A 2 key press is sufficiently worthless to me that I seldom use it,
instead resorting to various taped-on guards. The only time I use the lock is
when I don't have time to attach a guard.

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN