Subject: Re: special request ...
From: Johan Vromans (jvromans_at_squirrel.nl)
Date: 2003-08-25

David McIntyre <plugh_at_mudbarn.com> writes:

> Interesting request. I'm interested in doing the same thing with cue points on
> standard CDs. The mp3 format has no built-in support for what you're trying to
> do, but nothing's stopping you from dicing up your mp3s in audio editing
> software and putting these all in one folder on your device. So each track
> would be made up of about 5 or more pieces, numbered such that they'd be
> alphabetically sorted and play correctly in straight-through mode, or be useful
> in performance mode.

When you cut[1] one MP3 file into five pieces, say A, B, C, D, and E,
they will sound seamlessly when played _in that order_. But when you
play A, B, C, D, B, C, D, B, C, D, B, E (not uncommon), you will get
small but audible disruptions on the transitions from D -> B and B -> E.

-- Johan

[1] E.g., http://search.cpan.org/author/JV/mp3cut