Subject: Re: NEWKEYS v2
From: c s (rb_dev_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2003-08-26

--- Remo Hofer <remo.nospam_at_gmx.net> wrote:
> Kjell Ericson wrote:
>
> > Yep, but now perhaps you learned it :-)
>
> No, It's really strange how often this happens for
> me. Almost
> every time after I haven't used my jukebox for a
> couple of days,
> I cancel my first atempt to change a setting. But I
> manage to
> live with this flaw. (mine or rockbox's?)

Exactly! That is what makes this such a glaring UI
design flaw. Humans are creatures of habit. When the
stop button is used 95% of the time to go back one
menu level, the user just intuitive presses it to go
back a level after they have changed a setting. A good
UI design is contestant and allows the user to do
things intuitively. Making the user have to stop and
think what a key means based on what state they are in
is not good design. This is why even though you have
RTFM and know that the stop key will invoke the cancel
function, you still frequently accidentally press it
and cancel a setting that you really wanted to keep.

I am amazed that there is even any argument about this
point. This is very very very basic stuff that you
would learn in any introductory book on designing good
user interfaces. If you are making the user have to
stop and think about the next action for a common
function when it is possible to implement it in an
alternative way allows the user to do perform that
common function in a way that is consistent and
intuitive, you have a bad UI design. The
implementation of the cancel function on the player is
a classic example of bad UI design.

=====
Craig

rb_dev_at_yahoo.com