Subject: Re: NEWKEYS v2

Re: NEWKEYS v2

From: Kjell Ericson <Kjell.Ericson_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:05:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, c s wrote:

> > > Then ON, ON, STOP could be cancel...
> >
> > Uhuu, are you really serious that this should be a logic thing and user
> > friendly?
>
> It beats using the key that everyone expects to go back one level, and beats
> it by a long shot...

If you say that stop/cancel is a hidden function and that is a bad UI-design,
how can you even suggest such stupid thing as ON+ON+STOP. That if anything is
hidden and (more or less) impossible to tell the user to use.

> it's just common sense to press the STOP key to back out of the current menu
> level.

Well, maybe I'm not common then. I really don't see it sense in pressing STOP
to accept a change. Backing out from something should in my point of view
discard the change, not accepting it.

But, yes to you, when I do a little look now I see that changing the volume
doesn't accept play as accept (only stop for accept and no cancel). That is
inconsistent and bad UI-design and really need a fix. (I never change volume
in Rockbox)

> That is a very poor argument. So we should give the STOP key a hidden and
> inconsistent meaning in the settings menu because you often change a setting
> and then change your mind and want to revert?

You should try to understand me. You want to do exactly the same thing (but
worst) to me that you accuse me to do to you (and mapping ON+ON+STOP to a
function).

> > I press stop in other menues and go up one level I see it as cancelling
> > the current level.
>
> That's ridiculous. Now you are just playing with words to try to support a
> bad design. Everyone thinks that the stop key goes back one menu level, not
> cancels a menu level.

things. I don't see anything rediculous in that.

I use my player less and less, so take charge and do whatever you want. But
you make a misstake if you think you have the only common sense and the only
right way to look on functions like menues, accept, back and so on.

  // Kjell