Subject: Re: NEWKEYS v2

Re: NEWKEYS v2

From: CombThins <bmnews_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:06:38 +0100

Having thought about this a bit more, I think I agree with Linus and Craig.
The Cancel function doesn't add a lot of value, and it probably gets used
more by accident than deliberately, so let's just have STOP accept the
change. PLAY might as well do the same, and.... well... MENU might as well
do the same (MENU currently does cancel, which nobody seems to have
mentioned so far!).

"Chris Hoekstra" wrote:
> Let's examine how mobo bios's do this. They generally use enter to
> select, and esc to back out. All they do is check for a change in the
> values.
> If no change occurs, they exit with no change, effectively cancelling.
> If a value was changed, they ask if you want to save the setting and
> require 2 more keys. On a computer it is usually "Y" or "N" but on the
> player it could be "-" and "+" or "ON" and "MENU" or even "PLAY" and
> "STOP". The nice thing about using "PLAY" and "STOP" would be that if
> you wanted to cancel, you could hit STOP and when it prompts discard
> changes just hit STOP again and you have cancelled.

So once we are looking at the old value you really want to:
1. do PLUS/MINUS to change to desired value
2. press STOP to get confirm message
3. Press PLAY or STOP to accept or cancel selection.

I can't see that working for anyone - normal use (to accept) is to press
STOP followed by PLAY. Abnormal (to cancel) use is to press STOP twice.

The problem with comparing to mobo setup is that in mobo setup you set up
lots of things on the screen, maybe move to different screens, setup more
stuff, then get a confirm message right at the end to confirm all changes.
You don't actually do the confirmation for each little change, at least not
on most of the mobos I've played with. On Rockbox you do lots of little
changes, and if you want to cancel at all, it's probably just the last one,
not all the changes you've made since you went into the menu at the top.
And on a mobo, if you change something by accident you stand a fair chance
of having a broken PC. On Rockbox if you change something by accident it's
mildly annoying, but not often too serious. I think if we are going to
compare the player UI with anything it needs to be more at the level of
coffee-machine with six buttons rather than the mobo with big colour screen
and full keyboard.

CombThins