Subject: Re: NEWKEYS v2

Re: NEWKEYS v2

From: c s <rb_dev_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:05:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- ehart42 <ehart42_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I realize I'm new here, but I don't understand the
> desire to eliminate the Cancel function.

The real desire is to move it off of the button
mapping that causes it to be executed in error more
than it is used on purpose. Because of the limited
button options on the player, a good alternative
button mapping may be impractical so some people have
suggested that losing the cancel functionality is
preferable to keeping it in its current place where it
is so often selected in error.

> One of the
> virtues of Windows as a totally interactive UI is
> that you can explore and experiment without
> committing to any (possibly damaging) changes. You
> can explore the boundaries of each setting to
> understand how all setting inter-relate without
> messing up your system.

That is why I am working on a killer patch that gives
the player a "Windows like" full 1024x768 graphical
user interface with virtually unlimited user defined
buttons, sliders and gadgets so that we can implement
such a "totally interactive UI", but until I get that
up and running we have to look at the trade-offs of
cluttering our 6 button 22 character user interface
with inconsistent error causing complexity and/or
requiring additional screens and steps to do something
vs. having a simple, consistent and intuitive
interface which provides the most commonly needed
functionality, but which may not have every feature
that everyone would like in a perfect world.

=====
Craig

rb_dev_at_yahoo.com