Subject: Re: play WAV?
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (
Date: 2003-09-02

BlueChip wrote:
> WAV simple does it get?

Yes, it's simple, but the serial communication with the MAS is too slow
for 44kHz 16-bit playback.

> MOD ...What is so difficult? - I used to play MODs on my old 286!

The MOD format has the same problems as the WAV playback. But sure, it
might be possible to mix the MOD channel data with the SH1 and then send
the WAV data to the MAS.

> MIDI ...just like MOD with preset sample bank

See above.

> The reason "we don't have enough OGG support provided by hardware" is
> because we do not have the MAS SDK and therefore cannot use 50% of the
> hardware - LOL

In the MAS case, the problem will not necessarily be CPU power, but
rather (lack of) memory. The MAS has 4 or 8k of memory for both program
and data. For example, the Tremor OGG decoder has hundreds of kilobytes
of lookup tables.