Subject: Re: play WAV?

Re: play WAV?

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 08:53:05 +0100

>Hello,
> I'm new to the list but what is it with the ogg and wav stuff. Run a
>translation script when uploading. The ogg stuff is midely interesting
>but all of this effort spent on something that can be easily worked
>around.

I agree.

>Still, I ask why all the wanting for wav

It will mean a real-time interface to the outside world. The CPU is more
than capable of mixing a couple of wavs together, so multi-channel mixing
then becomes possible - at that stage a musci composer on the jukebox is
simply a matter of banging together an interface like, say, MODTracker

The playback of PCM data is worth much more than just playing a
pre-recorded WAV file. I think the wildest use of this technology would be
the ability to output specific numbers to the digital i/o for an external
device - if we can also _capture_ stuff in "WAV" format ...with a cheap and
simple device (possibly little more than an opto-isolator and a level
converter or two) it is not unreasonable to consider talking to the serial
interface on your digital camera!? Now how cool is THAT?

Welcome onboard at Rockbox, I'm sure you are about to have a lot of fun
with your new firmware :)

BC