Subject: Format option in archos firmawre and file system error
From: Mário J. S. Neiva (
Date: 2003-09-03

My Jukebox Recorder 20 (firmware 1.28) appears to be dead. It shows the
following on boot:
"File System Error. No valid Fat16/32 file system found. Please format
It all started when the batteries went dead while playing. When I tried to
restart, the directories and files were all messed up with strange symbols.
I tried to plug to USB and charger but it was still messed up so I unplugged
and restarted and that's when it started showing the error message.
I decided to format the drive through USB but after several attempts and
strange errors I opened the box and formatted the drive in a laptop. When I
reconnected the drive the same error still appeared.
Desperate I started playing with the buttons and found the strange format
command. This happens If I press F3 button for a few seconds. Still it
didn't work and actually eliminates the FAT information on the drive.
Anyway, I still have the same error so I think it may be "locked" in this
Anyone had this problem or have any possible solution?
I did try another HD and the exact same thing happens.
from Angola, the country not the Jail in NY ;)