Subject: FMR replacement, Best Buys, etc
From: Neon John (johngd_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: 2003-09-03

My FRM started to develop drive problems to go along with a very intermittent
headphone jack so yesterday I took it back to Best Buys under my replacement
plan.

It was almost as painless as represented. the chicklet behind the counter at
first started that "my tech has to check it out" crap but after I educated her
on what kind of policy I'd purchased I simply got a new package and gave her
to old FMR. Only thing I didn't like is the replacement policy is only good
for one time. I could (and did) buy another plan for obvious reasons.

The replacement is very interesting. The quality is MUCH better than the old
one. The fit and finish is better. The headphone jack is very tight. The
buttons even feel crisper. The hard drive is a different brand (Hitachi this
time, I believe) and is much faster than the old. It only took about 20
minutes to load back almost 20 gig of stuff.

I think Archos might have gotten it together on their QC for this model.
Alas, probably too late for Best Buys since I got the last one in stock and
they said that they'd not be getting in any more.

This just reenforces earlier advice to never, ever buy an Archos product from
anyone who can't also provide you with a no-questions-asked replacement plan.
Of the 5 other FMRs I've caused to be purchased in the last 6 months, all have
had to be returned. My best friend's last week after the function keys broke.

John

---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net