Subject: Re: Fw: play WAV?
From: David McIntyre (
Date: 2003-09-04

Interesting idea, but after looking at the block diagram, I didn't see a whole
lot of support for straight-thru translation. The chip is suited to inputting
from its ports (PCM, S/PDIF, analog, mp3 bitstream) and outputting to S/PDIF,
analog, mp3 bitstream with everything going through the encoder/decoder block
in the diagram. I don't see anything that allows a direct data feed from the
inputs to the hard drive in the chip. But it can, of course, accept such
"direct" data through the USB port.
I'm not seeing where the hardware would support offloading camera data to the
device. Blue, could you possibly elaborate? Maybe pop on IRC today and fill me

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 09:54:10AM +0200, claus wrote:
> BlueChip said:
> > The playback of PCM data is worth much more than just playing a
> > pre-recorded WAV file. I think the wildest use of this technology would be
> > the ability to output specific numbers to the digital i/o for an external
> > device - if we can also _capture_ stuff in "WAV" format ...with a cheap and
> > simple device (possibly little more than an opto-isolator and a level
> > converter or two) it is not unreasonable to consider talking to the serial
> > interface on your digital camera!? Now how cool is THAT?
> Go ahead BlueChip or like Nike used to say "Just do it!"
> - claus

David McIntyre
PGP Key fingerprint = CAB5 A73A 43FA 19E3 449D  20B8 25D7 FA84 8847 D6A7 for geek code, pgp key, etc.