Subject: RE: usb2 on the archos

RE: usb2 on the archos

From: John Stevenson <steveo1967_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:06:26 +0100 (BST)

"Gvillo, Mike" <MXG_at_dolby.com> wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. To take the example to the extreme
the iPod has firewire which is much faster then USB 2.0 but you only
really ever do huge upload/downloads once or twice, making that feature
fairly minor. When you do have to do a large transfer, just set it up
to go overnight. A usable interface is much more important.

I disagree with the point that firewire is quicker than USB2.0.

I am afraid it is not quicker, see table below for differences in speed between different protocols

ProtocolMB/s IrDA-Control0.009 Serial0.02 Parallel1.0 Bluetooth 1.10.125 Bluetooth 22 to 12 USB 1.11.5 USB 2.060 SCSI 15 Fast SCSI 210 Fast Wide SCSI 220 Ultra SCSI20 Ultra Wide SCSI40 Ultra2 SCSI80 Ultra 160 SCSI160 FireWire (IEEE 1394)50 FireWire (IEEE 1394b)100
Note 1394b is not that common yet!

regards

John