Subject: Re: mp3 features
From: Ingo Korb (
Date: 2003-09-12

David McIntyre <> writes:

> Shows that the automatic volume adjustment feature is built into the MAS chip.
> Why bother re-writing it?

1) Even with the shortest implemented decay time of 2s that feature
results in noticable volume-pumping which I consider very annoying. If
the chip has shorter decay times availiable it might be better, but I
don't have a PDF reader here to check.

2) The chip can't see into the future, offline pre-processing like
replaygain can. This can preserve intended differences in dynamics
across a track that would be reduced or killed by the MAS-limiter.

BTW, just for the record: I prefer not to modify my MP3s, my main index
is based on an MD5 of the file.