Subject: Re: RockBox Flash
From: scott (die_pokemon_die123_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2003-09-15

--- Jeroen Verbeeck <verbeeck_jeroen_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to know what exactly the RockBox flash does.
> For so far I could only understand that it should boot the Box a few seconds
> faster than the original FirmWare.

it replaces the flash rom with jörg's code, and boots directly into rockbox, in about 5 seconds.
holding F1 while pressing on will load the original archos firmware. the only added bonus is the
boot time, but it's a significant improvment.

> Are there some other applications/things attached to it or shouldn't I
> bother taking the risk of re-flashing my JBR if I only just "play and record" ?

the risk of something bad happening is fairly low, and it's possible to fix with hardware mods,
but if you're really paranoid it might nor be worth it. nothing else is attached to it, all it
does is load rockbox directly.

-scott