Subject: Re: What would you get right now?

Re: What would you get right now?

From: Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:26:43 -0400

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:35:22 -0400, Neon John wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 03:30:53 -0400, Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net> wrote:
>

>> Nomad Jukebox Zen NX
>> the 20G is $250 at bestbuy and that makes it about the same price
>> range. This is the second generation of Zen and improvements are
>> fairly numerous (like the replaceable/swapable battery) for
>> something Creative didn't do too badly with on their first shot. As
>> always, Notmad Explorer is a necessary investment to avoid the
>> heinous software that Creative tries to force on you. I bought it
>> for my Nomad IIc and deleted the supplied monstrosity after about 5
>> min. of use.
>>

> Does this unit have any audio book features like "resume" and book
> marking? About 90% of my listening is non-music so that is essential.
> Does this unit mount as a USB hard drive like the Archos?

I've read the full menu on the ign review of it, and I don't see any
bookmarking. There is a setting in the profile called "auto clear" which
might be a resume type of function, but without having used one, I can't
tell. No it does not mount as a MSD like the Archos, which is why the
recommendation for the Notmad Explorer software. If you can live with
this, then get one from a place with 30 day, no questions return policy
and check out the firmware features. This is what I would do.

> I think Rockbox is going to end up being essential so I'm going to be
> limited to Archo products.

It does sound like you are hooked. There are several other promising
players coming out before the end of the year, so we can hope. None of
them look to have the value of the Archos or the Creative players though.
:(

> Thanks,
> John

Chris