Subject: OT: Detecting and (ideally) repairing corrupted MP3 files
From: scout (rockbox_at_scout-family.org)
Date: 2003-09-18

All:
        I have a very large MP3 collection, ~80Gb. The major problem is that it
was compiled over time using various CD-Rippers & Encoders and it was
moved from drive to drive to drive, etc. So, the quality of the files
varies greatly, not only in bitrate, but in terms of fixing scratches on
the original CDs and just corruption in the MP3 file format. (BTW, I now
suggest, EAC [http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/] with Lame for ripping
scratched CDs.)

        I canít find a good program that will go through my MP3 collection and
determine (1) if the file format is OK, more importantly (2) if the file
has garbage (large silences, the stuttering of a scratched CD) in it and
(3) where these errors occur.

        EncSpot [http://guerillasoft.nstemp.com/EncSpot2/usage.html] is OK, but
it is mostly concerned with bitrate.

        Yeah, I know repairing the files is a long shoot, but if I can at least
find out which files are corrupt, and better yet unlistenable, I can
re-rip them.

        Thanks
        -js