Subject: Re: What would you get right now?
From: Neon John (
Date: 2003-09-18

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:32:07 -0400, "ajf" <> wrote:

>Me too. I've had two JBR crash and burn, both out of warranty and no help
>from Archos. Because of Rockbox, I got them both repaired, but will never
>buy another thing Archos makes.

Yaaaa. I placed an order last night for a conventional recorder from
but then cancelled it. I'm fed up with the Archos hardware, especially as I
get more familiar with my Studio 10 that I bought as a backup/Muzak source. I
can't believe that anyone would engineer a battery compartment as bad as on
the Studio.

>I have heard very little about the Neuros, but it looks interesting.
>Apparently the company supports open source development of enhancements to
>the firmware.

I just dropped 'em a note asking about audio book features like resume and
bookmarking. If they support that (or maybe even if they don't, now that
they're open source) I'm outta the Archos biz.

The open source is here.

First impression is extremely favorable.

PS: I should add that it looks like my broken screen is going to be caused by
the dreaded battery swelling problem. I just administered the straw that
broke the camel's back with the button press last night.

>Neon John writes:
>> Stick a fork in me, I'm done. My second FMR, this one only weeks old, is
>> gone. First the looping while trying to boot, now happening about every other
>> boot attempt, and now a broken display. I saw some sort of black stuff that
>> looked like padding floating around on the display yesterday. Tonight the
>> display broke as I pushed one of the function keys. I'm finished with FMRs.
>> Just can't take the "quality".
>> Now I'm needing a suggestion as to what to buy. I'd like to keep the graphic
>> display like the FMR has if I could. Great execution of Rockbox, of course.
>> At least 15 gig and preferably 20 gig. Must be something available from
>> vendors that offer replacement warranties (NOT some ebay schmuck). I don't
>> have the time right now to do a hard drive swap so buying another studio 10
>> from Amazon and swapping in a larger drive isn't an option.
>> Thanks,
>> John
>> ---
>> John De Armond