Subject: Hard Drive Faults - Read Access Error

Hard Drive Faults - Read Access Error

From: <misplacer_at_walla.co.il>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 01:22:54 +0300

Hello
Just bought my Archos FM 20 Recorder three weeks ago. ( & already frustrated :{ )
On the very first day I've isntalled the rockbox software, and very happy with it (My Thanks to all the developers!).
Already now, Im starting to expirience Hard Drive problems with my Archos.
- I get the " Read access error! Can't read from hard drive" messages occassionaly
- My Archos cant start time to time, making weird noises & clicks of HD activity.
- There are trouble accessing the Recorder from 'My Compyuter'.
- While connected to a PC, the unit tends to disconnect and the same second to recconnect.
  So I get the 'New Hardware Found' notification from XP. This happens every few minutes.
  The more I try to use the HD, the often it occurs. During this file transfers/ defragmentation/ formatting Halts.
- Battery getting low after only 3 hours... probaby due intense HD activity.

Usually after trying many times to connect, or to start, the problem as if 'fixes itself';
though whenever the 'Read Access' message turns out, I can forget using the unit for that day.
It looks just like the Recorder has good & bad days...

I soooo much would like to replace the unit, though a problem is I live in Israel & I asked a friend to buy
me one on his trip to NY. So its useless idea :(

- Is it possible that this caused for I've dropped my unit once from the height of half a meter???
it fell right on the corner and the rubber took nicely the hit.
- If I go and buy another HD & install it, is there a chance I'll loose my money once again??? Is The
  unit so sensible?
- Is there any ANTY-SHOCK HDs on the market???- Maybe there is any way to fix this problem without buying a new HD??
Thanks all for your answers!