Subject: RE: LCD mod?
From: Fred Maxwell (
Date: 2003-09-22

> as for space, I don't know how much internal work is
> required, but the hole in the cover can be cut wider?

You better look at the innards carefully. There is really almost no room in
the case.

> Hmm...
> When I opened up the FMR... I saw that the LCD was connected
> via a ribbon... I thought perhaps most of the work would be
> done towards either replacing the plug(for a LCD with a
> different length ribbon can be plugged in).

LCDs don't use a single standard interface. Some take serial data. Some
take parallel data. The number of pins, signals, levels, timing, etc. vary
wildly. An LCD controller for a 2x10 character-based LCD is nothing like
what's required for a grayscale dot-matrix graphics LCD.

> But the syncing with a palm or another device isn't a bad
> idea.

I was thinking of having a cable interconnecting the Palm to the AJB, which
the AJB transferring ID3 tag info and the Palm displaying it. Also, the
Palm could be used as a very sophisticated remote control and editing
device. Your idea of using it to transfer pictures is interesting and the
AJB could even act as a serially-connected disk drive.

  Fred Maxwell