Subject: RE: Seeking suggestions for good FM transmitter
From: Fred Maxwell (rockbox_at_anti-spam.org)
Date: 2003-09-23

 eD\/ARd0 F/\KEn^M3 wrote:

> Does nayone know of a 'good' FM transmitter? I tried these
> things before and was not impressed. It seems that the signal
> is just too weak. I know they're legally restricted but is
> there a source for "strong" transmitters? I live in a rural
> area so I'm in little danger of upsetting the neighbors. I
> would like a transmitter that would allow me to get a clean
> signal in my car as well as be able to broadcast to an area
> about 1 Acre in size. (Actually, 20 acres would be great but
> is that asking too much?)

What is much more important than the transmitter power is the antenna. If
you put a good antenna up, you may find even weak transmitters will cover
the area you desire. For a good look at how important antennas are, compare
the range of a 5 watt CB walkie talkie with a five watt CB radio using a
base station antenna. It's probably an order of magnitude less range with
the walkie talkie -- even though they both have the same 5w in/ 4w out.

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell