Subject: Re: FMR problem and solution
From: Fred (speed-up_at_fr.st)
Date: 2003-09-26

(Mail also sent to Joerg Hohensohn)

Firstly I'd like to thank you for taking time to develop Rockbox and the
flashing program, it's just wonderfull to see how you guys made Archos boxes
evolve since the official roms ;)

Yesterday my unit (an Archos FM Recorder 20) came back from warrantly, and I
decided to flash it as soon as possible. The flashing process did not cause
any problems, as well as further flashing to integrate a daily build, and a
home-made build : everything ran great, and I was enjoying the increadibly
fast boot which is quite an important feature to me.

But I was wondering why the battery level falled down at start, and staid at
a low level even when I was recharging it. I quickly came to the conclusion
that my box is not able to charge, with your charger as well as with archos'
one, but maybe too late : now my batteries ran out of power, and I cannot
boot anymore, even with power cable plugged in. I did not figured out that
charging is being done only via software and thought the rom was only there
to monitor hardware-driven charging. I was so stupidly wrong ...

Now, when I plug in power and/or USB cable, the disk "pops" up periodically
and the green LED is blinking, and the box cannot boot, neither she can
charge the battery. As you seem to be a tough Archos hacker and primarly the
author of this rom flashing program, I'd like to ask you how I can
"manually" charge the battery : I can open the top of the box to reach the
battery, and I've got my official Archos charger. Just tell me what to do,
ripping out the charger or whatever : I need my unit back :D. When my unit
has been charged this way, I could then flash the old rom back and use the
slooooow (but safe :D) Archos bootloader.

btw, could you please try to make it more clear in the official howto how to
revert to the original firmware : This is a curcial point that users must be
sure to be able to achieve in the safest way. I can figure out how to do
that, but reading it like you described the rom flashing would still be a
lot of help to be sure of what I'm actually doing ;)

Thank you in advance,

Fred