Subject: RE: FMR - rest in peace
From: Fred Maxwell (rockbox_at_anti-spam.org)
Date: 2003-09-26

> They no longer offer a product replacement policy on those
> items, only a product service policy (which according to him
> means that they'll mail it off to the mfr for me...) Looks
> like Best Buys got burned on Archos trying to warrant it.

Not necessarily. They might have decided to discontinue the Archos units
because of low profit margins or just because competing devices like the
iPod were outselling them. Once they didn't stock the Archos units anymore,
they couldn't exchange broken units for new ones (because they didn't have
any of the new ones in stock).

I'm not saying that warranty issues couldn't have been the reason -- just
that there are many other plausible explanations.

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell