Subject: RE: serial interface uses
From: Chris Muth (
Date: 2003-09-26

On 9/26/03 at 12:05 PM Chris Holt wrote:

>Roger that. I have a cable I can hook up to my Handspring Visor with some
>level conversion circuitry built into the plug. This cable allows me to
>hook the PDA directly to a standard external modem and connect to the
>AFAIK, the serial port on most PDAs is pretty generic, the cradle
>determines whether you hook to USB or serial ports on the computer.

Not quite. The PDA must itself have a USB port in order to sync via USB.
To sync via standard RS-232 (serial), again it must itself have a serial port.

The cradle is usually just a fancy plug for the bottom of the PDA.
In some cases the cradle will have level shifting hardware for the RS-232 interface.

While there might be exceptions, this is generally the rule.

-Chris Muth