Subject: Re: Recording - Harddrive sounds

Re: Recording - Harddrive sounds

From: Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:45:07 +0200

Martin Borus wrote:

>> I've got a Jukebox 20Gig Recorder and when I record from an external
>> microphone through line-in, I can hear the harddrive on the recording.
>> Has anyone had similar problems?
>
> Yes and if you listen for it closely, you can hear it in any line-in
> recording.
> It's not very loud but it is there.
>
> The only work-around I know is recording digitally. You can for example
> connect your microphone to a minidisc-recorder, use it as an A/D
> converter and record the digital signal with the jukebox.
>
> Martin

When I record with my jukebox recorder 20, the harddrive noises are hardly
audible on silent passages and not audible at all when there's music. If
you amplify the signal outside high enough that you can leave the internal
gain setting at minimum, the results are more than satisfactory (even for
my musician's ears)
For mic's or other low-signal sources you need an external amp.

Andreas Stemmer