Subject: Re: TalkBox file

Re: TalkBox file

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:19:35 -0400

Tom Evans wrote:
> Hi Glenn
>
> A .diff is a unix difference file, describes the difference between
> two versions of a file, showing what has changed, what has been added
> and what has been removed. The unix utility `diff` produces them, and
> then one can distribute the diff to someone who has the same source
> code that the diff was based upon, and then patch their version with
> the diff. The new source code can then be compiled.
>
> Clear as mud, lets try again....
>
> Its the difference between two versions of file A, that can then be
> patched to the same version of file A anywhere.
>
> God thats even worse.
>
> Its a source code patch.
>

> Regards (I think)
>
> Tom

Hmmm, let's try this approach. File A contains "giraffe". File B
contains "giraffes". A "diff" of file A and file B would tell you that B
had an extra "s", and specify where that "s" was, and could be used in
conjunction with yet another tool to change "A" into a duplicate of "B".
Now imagine the same thing on a much bigger file containing source code
and I think you've got the picture. Actually I probably should have used
gnus instead of giraffes, but that's irrelephant.