Rockbox.org home
release
dev builds
extras
themes manual
wiki
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
patches
dev guide



Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: unique, automatically loaded EQ for each song
From: mrlipring (mrlipring_at_tiscali.co.uk)
Date: 2003-09-30


Basically, i want to listen to albums as they were intended to be. at the
same volumes. not mp3gain'd in relation to each other.

I also want to listen to compilation playlists with the tracks normalised in
relation to each other. Using the same files. Obviously if they've been
mp3gain'd this will not work for both "wants", so it would have to be
something the archos does on the fly.

I want to, for example, be able to listen to a belle and sebastian song (new
album's fantastic btw) and then listen to something a bit louder, without
fiddling with the volume control, but STILL be able to (change to "album
mode" and) listen to the belle and seb with its intended difference in
volume between tracks.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Holt" <amiga2k_at_cox.net>
To: <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 7:56 PM
Subject: Re: unique, automatically loaded EQ for each song

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:36:04 +0100, mrlipring wrote:
> > Yeah, i understand, but this still involved editing the file, if not
> > reencoding the audio. This means that to listen to the song in its
> > original volume, and to listen to it normalised without transferring it
> > again would require two copies of the file to be present on the archos.
>
> Well, the Archos does have a volume control.
>
> I really must be missing your point. The only reasons I can think of for
> concern with regards to changing the gain of an MP3 file are clipping,
> which is avoidable, and the gain of the track relative to other tracks.
>
> In a playlist of mixed songs the common use would be to make all songs
> sound approximately as loud as each other, avoiding constant volume
> control fiddling.
>
> In the scenario of playing a complete album, we would have concern about
> the relative loudness of each song the same as it was mastered. As we
> pointed out, MP3Gain can handle this.
>
> Other than that, I can't really see what you mean by "listen to the song
> in it's original volume" because taken individually, you set each songs
> volume level with the volume control.
>
> Perhaps put another way: I personally only have one album where I am
> concerned about the gain of all songs relative to each other. I
> MP3Gain'ed the album (in album mode) with a gain setting just below
> clipping. Now I know when I listen to that album, I can get the maximum
> volume out of the device that I'm using to listen, but still have the
> quieter tracks quieter. I don't see why anyone should care what the gain
> of the mastered album was, as long as all tracks are the same, relative to
> each other.
>
> The rest of my music gets MP3Gain'ed as a whole, but in track mode,
> because I want to be able to listen to music at a constant perceived
> volume across tracks. I cannot come up with any reason why I should care
> at all what the engineer set the gain levels to when he made the master.
> Unless, of course, he clipped the thing.
>
> The bigger problem is the heinous amounts of dynamic range compression
> they use to sound louder on the radio. It's pretty much impossible to get
> that back.
>
> Chris
>
>



Page was last modified "Jan 10 2012" The Rockbox Crew
aaa