Subject: Re: unique, automatically loaded EQ for each song
From: Chris Holt (amiga2k_at_cox.net)
Date: 2003-10-01

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:25:59 +0100, mrlipring wrote:
> Basically, i want to listen to albums as they were intended to be. at
> the same volumes. not mp3gain'd in relation to each other.

So at some point you need to explain to me how the engineer knows what
type of equipment you are using and what volume level you set.

This is gain we are altering, plain and simple. If some bonehead engineer
decides to master the album at 50db, are you going to know this and listen
to it at a barely audible level, or are you going to turn up the volume???

> I also want to listen to compilation playlists with the tracks
> normalised in relation to each other. Using the same files. Obviously
> if they've been mp3gain'd this will not work for both "wants", so it
> would have to be something the archos does on the fly.

That's great, and I am not poo poo'ing the idea, but it would only work
for the Archos, just as MMJB only works for MMJB. MP3Gain works for
everything...

> I want to, for example, be able to listen to a belle and sebastian song
> (new album's fantastic btw) and then listen to something a bit louder,
> without fiddling with the volume control, but STILL be able to (change
> to "album mode" and) listen to the belle and seb with its intended
> difference in volume between tracks.

Then MP3Gain the albums as albums for now, and live with the volume
differences in compilation playlists until the fine rockbox crew and
contributors come up with a version that reads a setting somewhere for
each song and can be told to obey or ignore it globally.

Chris