Subject: Re: building m3u-playlists from bash in unix
From: Brendan Hack (
Date: 2003-10-02

Or you could do it with perl and not have to do the escaping:

find ~/Music/ -type f -name \*.mp3 | perl -p -e
's|/Users/svante/Music/|/A-C/|' > playlist.m3u

and if you use three letter spacings for all your categories (ie: A-C is
for artists who start with that letter range followed by
D-F,G-I,J-L,M-O,P-R,S-U,V-X and Y-Z) you can try this:
find ~/Music/ -type f -name \*.mp3 | perl -p -e

And it should do the directory classification for you. Not guaranteed
and certainly could be done cleaner.

Though you probably don't have 3 letters in each directory though. It's
not too hard to make it do arbitrary sized groups but it's well beyond
the scope of this email.