Subject: Re: SOS - File System Error (No FAT16/32)
From: Wrybread (wrybread5_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2003-10-06

> the windows FAT32 limit is 20 gb

I'm pretty sure the limit is 40gb.

And yeah, on the subject of backup, I have an 80 gig Jukebox Recorder (formatted using Parititon Magic...), and I keep an 80 gig partition on one of my Windows drives, and I use a program called Synro Magic, which I love, and from time to time I fire it up and it compares my jukebox to my backup and deletes anything from the backup that has been deleted on my jukebox, and adds anything that's been added. Always have an exact backup.

Not freeware, but I didn't find anything that did the job as well or quickly.

http://www.r-studio.com/#local ) to get you're
> data off the drive, Then use Partition magic (much better then windows
default stuff and it can format >20GB
> FAT32 which windows cannot!)

Somehow I've got a 27GB FAT32 partition I made with standard windows tools.
Don't know what the limit is, but it doesn't seem to be 20GB.

> These are some of those utilities I think everyone should go out and buy
as they _WILL_ save your butt a
> number of times, trust me.

They can be useful, but for the average home user they won't get used from
one year to the next. Better to make sure your butt doesn't need saving!

For less than the cost of most recovery tools you can add more than enough
disk space to a desktop machine to keep a complete backup of your Archos.
The reason there are so many good disk recovery tools around is because so
many people don't keep any backups.