Subject: Re: SOS - File System Error (No FAT16/32)
From: roland (
Date: 2003-10-06

Hi !
on win2k/Xp (only on them!) formatting(only that!) of fat32 volumes >32Gb is disabled "artificially" to encourage usage of ntfs for
big volumes. should have a positive effect because that will reduce the chance of a data loss. ntfs is (by far!) the more advanced
filesystem and i would always recommend using it, where you are able to use it.

you can use 3rd party tools if you want format fat32 filesystems on that platforms.
i would recommend using h2format for that - it`s free and you get it at
unfortunately, docs is german only. but "default"-usage is simple: just type: h2format driveletter:
this is the only native 2000/xp freeware "big-fat32-format-tool" i have come across, so far.
does someone know others?