Subject: Re: uh oh HD woes
From: Chris Muth (rockbox_at_muth.cc)
Date: 2003-10-07

On 10/7/03 at 9:22 AM Colin Gilchrist wrote:

>Heya,
>
>I've done a really stupid thing and dropped my archos HD (sans archos
>hardware) while fiddling with it. And now it goes <click> <click>
><click> <click> instead of spinning up and reading.
>
>Does anyone have a spare HD or know of a good, cheap place to get a
>laptop HD? I'm only looking for something small, between 5 and 15 Gb or
>so... cant afford to get anything bigger :-(
>
>Also... has anyone ever succeeded in getting data back off a physically
>damaged drive? Would it be phenomenally expensive to get a data
>recovery company on the job?

If it is just clicking, it is probably resetting the heads repeatedly and trying to read its firmware
off of the beginning of the disk and failing. If it is failing and not reading its firmware off of the disk, it is
not going to be useable to read off of the disk.

I am guessing you're right that it would be "phenomenally expensive" to have the data recovered.

>Cheers...
>Colin

-Chris