Subject: Re: uh oh HD woes

Re: uh oh HD woes

From: mrlipring <mrlipring_at_tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 01:47:04 +0100

surely though, he still has the cds and can re-rip them? not saying that
everything i have in my mp3 collection is owned, mind you.

look at it this way. to rip and encode a cd takes ~5-10 minutes with
lame/eac. say he has a full 20gb on there, that would be ABOUT 200 albums.
that's 33 hours of ripping and encoding. surely that's worth the *5* paltry
blank dvds it would cost to back the stuff up? that's like £4. the
equivalent cds are about the same price too. i know everyone doesn't have a
dvd writer, but data you'd be pissed off at losing is worth more than the
hard drive it's on, never mind the blanks it'd cost to back it up.

i personally just bought a 25-spindle of dvdrs for backing up my collection,
and i think i'll have 2 or 3 spare at the end of the session. i'm not
looking forward to backing them up, but i want to replace the (130-odd!) cds
it's already backed up on.

i know it's all well and good saying this AFTER the drive dies though. :(