Subject: Fw: uh oh HD woes

Fw: uh oh HD woes

From: eD\\/ARd0 F/\\KEn^M3 <cojonesdetoro_at_badeddie.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 13:05:19 -0400

> i personally just bought a 25-spindle of dvdrs for backing up my
collection,
> and i think i'll have 2 or 3 spare at the end of the session. i'm not
> looking forward to backing them up, but i want to replace the (130-odd!)
cds
> it's already backed up on.

DVD writers are starting to flirt with the $100USD barrier. I've backup up
my MP3 collection serveral times and have even given to friends for "safe
keeping".

I have a setup on a linux box where I sync the jukebox to a drive directory
that has a mirror image copy of the rockbox. I wrote a script that syncs
them in the following manner:

- check for files on jukebox that are missing since last time synced. Ask
user if each file should be deleted from source disk or recopied
(Yes/No/Copy All/Delete All). It lets you get rid of all those bad MP3's
that you don't know are bad until you play them on the jukebox and manually
delete them.

- check for all files on source disk that do not exist in jukebox and copy
to jukebox with prompting for each.

- check for all files on jukebox that do not exist on source and copy to
source with prompting for each.

- check for all files on jukebox and source that have same name but
different contents and report (sanity check to prevent corruption)

I connect it every few weeks and it takes less than 5 minutes to sync up.
Even faster if nothing has changed.