Subject: More news: Survey wrapup (who has a non-V1 boot ROM?)

More news: Survey wrapup (who has a non-V1 boot ROM?)

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:09:03 +0200 (MEST)

> This is bad news, unless the boot ROM is hidden and can be re-enabled,
> these
> boxes have no such thing as a recovery option via UART boot. On the other
> end, for most people this probably would make no practical difference, the
> required mods are not suitable for everybody anyway.

Better news is that re-enabling may be possible. I just had a look at a
dissected FM (PCB rev 2.1), and found preparations on it to boot from flash
instead of ROM. So it could have been a V2 as well. Close to the CPU there is a
jumper resistor at the MD1 pin. Pullup means ROM, pulldown would be flash.
This means the flash would need to be selected with /CS0, and indeed the
board is also prepared for that. There is a zero ohm resistor from /CS2 to the
flash, but next to it is a footprint for a double diode alternatively.
Together with the existing pullup this would form a wire-or, selecting the flash for
both regions.

It would be worth trying for somebody with a V2 to do the UART mod and
change to boot ROM again. If there is a buried ROM with the usual content, the
UART boot would work. You could use it to flash the normal content, thus having
a V1 then.

> One more thing worth finding out: maybe these boxes have a SH7032 CPU, the
> romless version with double IRAM size, instead of the usual SH7034. Has
> anybody opened it up?
> I'll add some code to the H/W info to find out IRAM size.

I did add the check, does somebody want to try this rockbox variant? It's
not in the official build, but I can email you an ajbrec.ajz.

Jörg