Subject: Long term recording tests...
From: Dave Jones (
Date: 2003-10-14

We were discussing long term recording errors, and ROLOing, etc.

I just finished a long term test with two versions of Rockbox: 1) a recent
CVS version and 2) the same CVS version in which I removed the small chunk
of code that writes the VBR header after a recording is stopped. I was
using the record split time feature/hack set at 2 hours.

The rockbox with the VBR header code recorded for about three days and then
froze with a Panic Rec Upd: -6. The other version without the VBR header
code is still recording away, and has been for about 6 days now! Cool.

Should I post this as a bug to the bug tracker system? I'm not sure it's
worth much development time if someone is really working on a frame perfect
recording split feature. I could also submit a patch that would turn off
the VBR header writing code if the record split feature is enabled. That
would be the easiest short-term work-around. Any comments?

Dave Jones P.E.
Senior Project Engineer
HFP Acoustical Consultants Inc.
6001 Savoy Dr., Suite 115