Subject: Re: Quick questions

Re: Quick questions

From: Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:23:42 -0400

NO

This is completely wrong. JS utilizes a MS Stereo uses one channel to
encode information that is identical on the left and right channels and
the other channel to encode the differences between the two channels., to
reduce the quantity of information. There is no reason for a MS stereo
encoding technique to sacrifice quality to reduce needed bandwidth because
it can be done without sacrifice.

What you give below is closer to a description of Intensity Stereo
encoding which is only used for Layer2 encoding on low bitrate files where
it only encodes bits that are perceived to be important to the
stereophonic image.

I'm no expert on the MAS chip, but I feel fairly confident that it
shouldn't be doing IS encoding, at least on the higher quality settings.
Surely someone here can expand on this.

Chris