Subject: Re: Cheap/good digital-audio Boston Acoustics BA735
From: Neon John (johngd_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: 2003-10-21

I have several sets of Cambridge Audioworks digital surround sound speakers
that I bought dirt cheap somewhere or another. They work just fine on my
Recorder in digital mode. Just plug 'em in and they talked.

These speakers came with that mini-DIN that, I believe, SoundBlaster uses.
They also came with an adapter cable that goes from the mini-DIN to a standard
stereo mini-phono plug.

Through experimentation I've found that the tip is for the rear channels and
the ring is for the front. If I jumper tip and ring together and send in the
digital signal, then both the front and back speakers play the same sound.

I made up a little adapter cable that has a male mono mini phono plug on one
end and a stereo mini-phono socket on the other. Tip and ring on the socket
end are connected to the tip of the plug. Shells are connected together.

The Recorder's volume control has no effect on the digital stream so the
volume must be set using the speaker volume control. The speakers sound just
fine, given what they are. The background hiss is a bit lower on the digital
side than analog but other than that, not much difference.

To another thread, I never could find a digital stream from my old FMR using
either these speakers or a scope. Digital in only, I'm afraid.

John

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:26:50 -0500, LoveLearn <LoveLearn_at_iw.net> wrote:

>More than a year ago I heard and was favorably impressed with sounds
>produced by a Boston Acoustics BA735 digital digital decoder/amps/3-way
>speaker system. Boston Acoustics made these for Gateway as OEM digital
>output systems. Recently I encountered eBay offers for them at very low
>prices. Last month I suggested that we consider using them with our
>Archos digital output jacks. I just acquired a set. They were tested
>before shipping and worked well with Gateway computer digital output.
>
>I just opened a new Belden cable package I happened to own. The cable
>has a stereo 3-contact mini phone plug on one end. The other end splits
>into a pair (left and right) of male RCA phono plugs. I don't have an
>Archos manual which might list specifications for the required cable.
>Using either of this audio cable's 2 RCA phono plugs enables the BA735s
>to produce very quiet audio output, depending on how far the plug is
>inserted into the Archos. It seems pretty clear that this isn't an
>appropriate cable.
>
>I think my ARJ 20 digital jack has 4-connectors. What plug and a cable
>do I need? Does it need to be specially configured to carry high
>frequency signals? The BA735 digital input jack appears to be a common
>female RCA phono jack. A low cost suitable cable is preferred to high
>Archos prices. If this works out well, other Archos owners may acquire
>these systems and need cables. Thanks for your consideration.
>John

---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net