Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: Flashed RB still having charging issues..

Re: Flashed RB still having charging issues..

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:35:28 +0200 (MEST)

(Brr, I strongly dislike your HTML posts, the frontend of my freemailer
can't quote those. You only get them displayed on special request, because of the
security risk. So I had to copy and indent below manually.)

>>This is "normal" behaviour, has nothing to do with flashed or not (I
>>think). The charger supplies less energy than the harddisk takes (in full
>>use), so this will drain your batteries, too. Poor flash can't do anything
>>about it...
>
>Then how do you explain that both ROLO'd rockbox and Archos FW do not have
this problem..

???
Where is rolo'd rockbox in that story? I don't understand the senario...
If the HD takes more power than the charger delivers, you have to run dry at
some point.

Maybe the pitfall is that Rockbox unfortunately doesn't start charging right
away when started with the charger plugged. Instead it gathers voltage
readings for about 40 seconds, before it then maybe decides to charge. Maybe in
your case the unit didn't survive those 40 seconds of compulsory battery usage.
I don't like this behaviour, hope we can change it one day. If the user
plugged in the charger, he probably has a reason. It would be better to always
charge first, then stop it once we find out it's not necessary.

Jörg