Subject: Re: HTML - was RE: Flashed RB still having charging issues..
From: David McIntyre (
Date: 2003-10-21

It's a disadvantage when one runs mutt on a shell because one does not like
virii, html tracking codes in spam, and general mayhem allowed by html
messages. For me it's only a minor inconvenience to launch the attachment in
lynx to read it, and it doesn't load the images or other tracking badness. But
since multipart MIME exists, there's no reason anyone shouldn't take advantage
of this to reach the widest audience possible with their communications. Think
about the possibility that the one person on earth who has the answer to your
question is running UNIX mail(1) and can't read an html message at all. It's
all about going to the lowest common denominator: text.

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 10:00:33AM -0400, Fred Maxwell wrote:
> > > Frankly, HTML has a lot of advantages, such as the ones mentioned
> > > above.
> >
> > Hehe, personally, I regard those as being one of the many
> > disadvantages...
> How is it a "disadvantage" to be able to say "see my changes in red below"
> or "as per the boldfaced sentence above"? I can't understand how you could
> view the ability to format text as a disadvantage.
> > Also, automatic handling of messaged, like spam filtering, is more
> > difficult when the messages are in HTML format.
> I own and run the domain I would be happy to assist you with
> spam filtering if it's causing you difficulties.
> Regards,
> Fred Maxwell

David McIntyre
PGP Key fingerprint = CAB5 A73A 43FA 19E3 449D  20B8 25D7 FA84 8847 D6A7 for geek code, pgp key, etc.